From $1 250 // Two weeks (commuter)
PLANTS is a two week intensive program that teaches effective skills and the right heart attitude to help participants confidently learn a new languaculture (language + culture). Opportunity for immediate implementation of new skills is provided through ten hours with a Language Helper in a small group. Additionally, PLANTS for children is designed with age appropriate materials to help children transition well and gain confidence that they can learn a new language.
In addition to new skills and small group practice with a language helper, a portion of the program covers basic phonetic principles and emphasizes why listening before speaking is so important.
Time will also be spent exploring the benefits of using a variety of language learning strategies and discovering your personal preferences. The program culminates in each student designing a language learning plan that fits the learner and their context.
What to expect
- a 10-day program (middle weekend without class instruction)
- Discussion of benefits of grammatical and Language Helper approaches
- an extensive resource notebook of languaculture learning techniques
- understanding of the inseparable nature of language and culture (languaculture)
- discovering the importance of entering a new culture as a humble servant
- creation of a language learning plan
- foundations of Phonetics: ears trained to begin to distinguish the fine difference between sounds and understanding of the structure of the vocal apparatus and how it is used to produce speech sounds
- encouragement through meeting other cross-cultural workers on the journey of transition to a new people group
- 10 hours of skills practice with a language helper/nurturer in a small group
- an age appropriate children's program designed to help children transition well by building confidence in their ability to learn a new languaculture.
Dates / Locations
February 5 - 16, 2018 Toronto, ON Dr.Peter Pikkert
June 4 - 15, 2018 Cambridge, ON Dr.Greg Thomson
Oct 29 - Nov 9, 2018 Toronto, ON Dr.Peter Pikkert
The fees below are applicable for 2017. Pricing may change for 2018 programs.
|Room & Board**||$1850||$3600||$630||$1000||$1450|
* Includes tuition, weekday lunches, 2 dinners and coffee breaks.
** Costs are based on double occupancy. There is an additional charge for a single room. Breakfast only is served on the weekend.
PLANTS is an essential tool for cross cultural workers to thrive in their new environment. It’s more than just a “How to learn a language”. It’s about building relationships, growing in grace & bringing ‘The Light of the World’ to people who don’t know him in a tangible and personal way. Alumnus 2016
What I expected from the training was to gain skills, tools and confidence for language learning and I did. What I didn’t expect was a shift in my perspective on language learning and the role it plays in allowing Jesus to be knowable through me. I am most thankful for this and more eager than ever. Alumnus 2016